Home | Site Map | City Directory | Email  

Municipal Court


Prince D. Chestnut
Presiding Municipal Court Judge


Joseph H. Hagood
Municipal Court Judge


Nikki Carter
Court Clerk / Chief Magistrate


Edgar W. Greene, Jr.

Yusuf Abdus Salaam



Selma Municipal Court
Magistrate's Office
1300 Alabama Avenue
Selma, Alabama 36703


Monday-Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm


(334) 874-2135 
(334) 874-6617 (Prosecutor)



Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When is court held?
A. Court is held every Tuesday at the Public Safety Building located at 1300 Alabama Avenue on the second floor. Court starts at 8:30 a.m.

Q. What will happen on my court date?
A. On your first court date, you must enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty, the judge will sentence you. If you plead not guilty, your case will be set for a trial date. 

Q. Can I speak with the judge or prosecutor about a case before the court date? 
A. You can only speak with the judge about your case when you appear in court. You can contact the prosecutor, Alston Keith, at his office at 334-874-6617.

Q. Can I pay my ticket before the court date?
A. You may pay your ticket before the court date only if a court appearance in not required. To find out if your ticket requires a court appearance, you may call the Magistrate’s Office at 334-874-2135. If a court appearance is not required you may pay your ticket in person at the Magistrate’s Office or you can mail your payment in the form of a cashier’s check or money order along with your copy of the ticket. Please remember to sign the guilty plea on the back of your ticket. To find out the price of your ticket call 334-874-2135. 

Q. Can someone else come to the Magistrate’s Office and pay my ticket for me before the court date?
A. No. 

Q. If I pay my ticket before the court date, do I still have to come to court?
A. No. Once you pay your ticket, the case is closed.

Q. Can I drop a warrant? 
A. No.

Q. Will I have to pay court cost for coming to court?
A. The court cost is included in the price of the ticket. There is no extra cost for coming to court. However, the judge may increase the fine on a ticket that is payable before the court date.

Q. What should I do if I need to change my court date?
A. You should call the Magistrate’s Office at 334-874-2135 to find out your options.

Q. If my driver’s license has been suspended because of an unpaid ticket with Selma, what must I do to get my license reinstated?
A. If you did not pay your ticket on time, the Alabama Department of Public Safety was notified and they suspended your license for nonpayment. In order to have your license reinstated, you must first pay the ticket. Next, contact the Department of Public Safety at (334) 242-4400 for more information concerning the reinstatement fee. 

Q. What forms of payment do you accept?
A. Cash, money order or cashier’s check.

Q. How do I press charges (get a warrant)?
A. You must first report the offense to the Selma Police Department. Next you will have to bring that police report to the Magistrate’s Office and be questioned by a magistrate. If there are any witnesses, you should bring them with you. The magistrate will then determine if there is probable cause to issue a warrant of arrest. Filing a police report does not mean that a warrant will be issued.

Q. Can I call to find out if I have a warrant against me?
A. Warrant information will not be given over the telephone. To find out if you have a warrant you will need to come to the Magistrate’s Office and present a valid form of identification.

Q. What should I do if there is a warrant for my arrest?
A. You must turn yourself in to the Selma Police Department and in most cases, you will be able to post a bond. 


Copyright © 2007-2013 by City of Selma. All rights reserved.

Terms and Conditions